Pedestrian Accidents Are on the Rise
Whether you are taking a stroll or are walking as a means of getting where you need to go, you likely feel quite safe when you head out on foot. It is important to remember, however, that – when you are walking – absolutely nothing comes between you and the impact of a vehicular accident. Additionally, statistics show that pedestrian accidents are on the rise. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need skilled legal counsel.
Pedestrian Accidents: The Statistics
Walking is a good way to get out and enjoy our fine Texas weather and to engage in healthy exercise, but statistics out of the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center show that pedestrian accidents are on the rise:
- Traffic fatalities overall decreased by almost 18 percent in the decade spanning from 2006 to 2016, but pedestrian accidents rose by 12 percent.
- There were more than 5,000 fatalities related to pedestrian accidents in 2015 – the highest accounting for nearly two decades.
If a negligent driver has left you injured in a pedestrian accident, seek the professional services of an experienced Central Texas personal injury attorney.
Staying Safe When You Are on Foot
When you are on foot, it is critical that you put your safety first, and there are several safety tips that can help:
- Because groups of pedestrians are easier for drivers to see, you are always safer when you cross the street in a group.
- Follow the rules of the sidewalk by adhering to all posted pedestrian signals, signs, and lights.
- Never cross the street until it is safe to do so – no matter what the pedestrian signal may indicate. Always look both ways and employ common sense before stepping off the curb.
- When you are heading out on foot, make sure that you wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes that provide you with plenty of traction.
- When you have a walking destination, plan your route ahead of time and carefully consider ways that you can minimize danger. For example, a route that reduces the number of crosswalks you will encounter and that avoids dangerous construction sites can help keep you safe.
You would not head out in your car without planning your route and taking basic precautions, and you should put at least as much effort into your travel by foot. Remember that pedestrian accidents are on the rise; always make safe choices when you are out walking.
If You Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident, You Need an Experienced Central Texas Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a pedestrian accident, you know exactly how difficult that is. The dedicated legal professionals at The Law Office of Brett H. Pritchard in Central Texas have the experience, knowledge, and compassion to aggressively advocate for your rights and for the compensation to which you are entitled. Your claim is far too important to leave to chance, so please contact or call us at (254) 220-4225 today.